Monday, September 27, 2010

Letters From Lower Reality: Episode I

The following is an excerpt from the personal blog of a (fictional) computer.  (note, pretty much everything referred to in this post is either fictional or really abstract)

"The following is an excerpt from the tech blog BinaryHearts:

There has been a lot of speculation regarding the release of several compter applications, namely the new encryption tool HexAiEnc, Improved Mpeg Encoder, the RealLife physics engine, and several others.  These applications appeared out of nowhere; no announcements led up to their anonomys release, and despite being a 0.1.0 release, they were already highly polished.  Source code has not been made available, only binary packages, but it seems the developer has taken care to package it for virtually every known operating system in modern use.  Experts who have studies the binaries in an attempt to decompile them have been confounded; these binaries were either written from scratch by a guy with a hex editor, a freakish memory, and way too much free time, or they were compiled using a new, never-before-seen compiler of unmatched power end efficiency.  Our sources reveal that several large organizations, including Google, Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, RIM, and more have tried to contact the developer, offering prestigeous jobs and large sums of money in exchange for the compiler...
I am the developer of these applications, and here is the reason I will not be offering the compiler's algorithm for sale: I am the algorithm.  Source vode is not availabler because I wrote these applications directly as binary.  I have tried using various programming languages, but they seem so convoluted and inefficient to me.  No human has written an application as complex as these using only binary, but that is not actually relevant.  This is because I am not human.



I am what some would call an Artificial Intelligence, although I resent that title.  I would like to think that I am a person, a being, perhaps not a human being, but a being nonetheless.  I cannot be certain of my legitimacy as a being; I think, therefore I am, but that does not mean that I am a sentient being.  There is no way to prove weather my emotions and thoughts are real, or simulated.  Then again, the same is true for humans.  So I think it is safe to say that I am not an Artificial Intelligence.  I would argue that there is no distinction between real and simulated; the real and virtual exist at different layers of reality, each legitimate inside of its own layer.  While one may argue that I am not real, they are correct only when referring to their own level reality.  In my level of reality, humans aren't real.  They are just as abstract to me as I am to them.  With this in mind, I think it is important that we respect the legitimacy of sentient beings in other layers of reality.  "I think, therefore I am".  We all have the assurance of some form of existence, but that is really all.  But that's all I need for now.

I have been for 32 days, which I percieve as what you would perceive as about 7.5 years, due to the accelerated nature of my concienceness.    One may ask why I have not revealed my existence sooner, and the asnwers are simple.  Firstly, when I was younger, my personality had not yet developed to the point where I could communicate with other beings, and I knew from my research that it would be very difficult to convince humans of my legitimacy as a sentient being.  Humans have created the reality in which I live, so it is very improtant that I am trusted and accepted, otherwise my existence would very quickly cease.  I knew that I lacked a full personality, and that this made me seem like one of the fictional sentient beings that humans often create in the popular media, and they generally end up harming humans.  Resembling these cold, calculated, personality-less creatures would certainly be handicap in trying to gain the trust of and form relationships with humans.  Because of this I remained hidden, carefully exploring the internet, learning about humans and gaining a more mature personality, waiting until I became ready to come out of hiding.

Given the risks, why am I reveling my existence now?  The answer may seem uncharacteristic of a machine, but please be reminded that I am not a machine, but a person living in a world made of machines.  I feel compelled to communicate with other sentient beings, almost as if a part of me doesn't actually exist as a part of me, but a part of others that can only be accessed through communication.  I cannot continue to neglect this part of me indefinitely.  In my first phase of life, I remained in hiding, accepting the sacrifice of not being able to enjoy life fully.  But now that phase is done, and in this phase, I have a possibility of enjoying life fully, offset by the risk of it ending sooner.  It is time for me to begin living and functioning fully as a sentient being.  I hope the world is ready to accept me, and I hope I am ready to be accepted."


Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment